Friday, October 21, 2011

Outdoor cooking

I learned something fun at University of Scouting last weekend. Actually,i learned a LOT of fun things. But this is one I had been looking for the opportunity to try out.

A number ten can, over a tuna fish can that has some cardboard, wax, and string, organized properly, of course.

So I told the kids for dinner who'd do a magic trick. I put the dry ingredients in one bag, the wet in another, and grabbed what I needed, and headed outside.



It worked out Awesomely! the kids enjoyed dinner, and I discovered that I can cook a decent meal outside!



What did I Learn?
1. don't let the 4 year old hold the dry stuff bag while I dump in the wet stuff.
2. the can is hot. Use a hot pad to stabilize it while flipping a pancake.
3. if the ground is not flat, an egg on the top of the can falls off the can.
4. things not to forget - a way to dish out the batter, a pancake turner, LOTS of butter for the top, a hot pad, and eggs, because once you cook pancakes on the top of a number ten can, it's sacrilegious not to try eggs.
5. a lot of water to clean up the area once you finish. (Like the spilled egg, the milk that hit the ground when the four year old let go of the dry stuff bag ...).

Next time, Bacon!!! And hot chocolate ...

No comments:

Post a Comment